Red currant muffins
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
Our son loves baking and for some reason, it’s his favorite thing to do, if he gets to choose. Of course, he loves swimming and cycling, playing with his toys and doing arts and crafts, but if there’s a possibility to help me in the kitchen, he’s there before you can say Jack Robinson 😉 .
A few weeks ago, it was his name day, and he got to choose what we baked. Muffins! We had just bought new muffin cups, so his choice wasn’t any surprise.
These muffins take just a few minutes to whip up (well, maybe couple more with a little helper 😉 ) and have become one of my favorites. If you can’t find red currants, don’t throw in the towel, this is the perfect recipe for any of the berries you can find.
2 tbsp. (30g) apple sauce or mashed banana
0.6 dl honey or maple syrup
3tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
1.2 dl (125g) Greek yogurt or soy yogurt
1tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1.8 dl (90g) coconut flour
0.8 dl (40g) oat flour (use gluten free if needed)
1 tsp baking powder
2 dl red currants
(2 tsp coconut sugar)
• Preheat the oven to 180C.
• Grease 10-12 muffin cups or line with paper liners or use silicone ones.
• In a bowl mix the apple sauce (or mashed banana) and honey (maple syrup) and whisk until well combined.
• Add the coconut oil (or butter), yogurt, vanilla extract, salt and stir until all are well combined.
• Add the flours and baking powder and mix together.
• (If you normally like sweeter muffins, add 1-2tbsp coconut sugar or some other sweetener at this point. I used banana and that brought enough sweetness to our muffins.)
• Stir red currants in the batter.
• Fill the muffin cups with batter, and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven.
Serve warm or fridge cold, I think I prefer cold one 😛 .