Protein Apple pie
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
It may be summer, but in my opinion the warming flavors of apple pie never go out of season. I have received several requests to publish a recipe for baked goods, which would be rich in protein and low in fat. Apple pie is a favorite among many people, so here you go: Protein Apple Pie!
I believe, that this pie is suitable for the most of my readers, even though you would follow a strict diet, because it contains no wheat flour, sugar or fat. Its sweetness comes from ripe bananas, as well as flavored protein powder, and you can always add some extra sweetener into the batter, if necessary. You can also make a gluten-free pie, by using gluten-free oatmeal. One of the good sides of this pie also is that it just becomes better, when kept in the fridge.
2,5 dl rolled oats
2 scoop (60g) of vanilla flavored whey protein powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
(1/2 dl sweetener such as stevia, stevia sugar, agave nectar, honey)
4 egg whites
2 mashed bananas (very ripe ones)
1/2 dl water
1/2 dl plain yoghurt or quark
a splash of oil of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix into a smooth batter. You don’t need to whip up the batter, just mix it for example with a big spoon.
4. Oil the pie tin or place the baking paper in the bottom it. Pour the batter into the pie dish.
5. Peel and chop the apples. Bake the apples in a pan (use oil if desired) until they have softened a little and have some colour on them.
6. Place the apples on top of the pie and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
7. Put the pie in the oven and bake for about half an hour. Be careful with the baking time, so that the pie does not get over baked!
This time I served the pie with homemade vanilla sauce, but it would have been divine also with a scoop of ice cream. Some vanilla flavored yogurt or pudding would also work well. If you’re following very strict diet, I’m sure you know better than I which topping goes best with this pie 😉 .
The original recipe can be found here in Finnish: