Mud cake with a healthy twist
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
Okay, you asked for it, so here it is! Healthier Mud Cake and just in time for Mother’s Day. This cake requires only a handful of ingredients and whipping it up is super easy.
You can use whatever chocolate you want (dark or milk chocolate, sugar free, raw, dairy free, protein, etc.), but keep in mind that the darker it is, the healthier the end result will be. Raw chocolate is “the best” option even though if it’s not your favorite on its own, I promise that you don’t even realise the strong taste of it in this cake. If you use milk chocolate, I recommend adding cacao powder to boost up that chocolate flavor a little bit. Also espresso powder gives a nice kick to this cake, it makes the flavors more intense ❤️.
90 g chocolate of your choice, melted (the darker, the healthier)
1 can (4 1/2 dl) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 dl erythritol or any other sweetener you prefer (I used Karppisokeri)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
1 tablespoon cacao powder (optional)
powdered sugar (for serving)
• Preheat oven to 175°C.
• Spray round cake pan (23cm) with baking spray or cover it with baking sheet and set aside.
• Place eggs and chickpeas in a food processor and blend until smooth.
• Add erythritol or other sweetener, vanilla extract, baking powder and espresso powder/ cacao powder/ or both (if using) and pulse until combined.
• Pour in melted chocolate and process until combined, scraping down the sides to make sure thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
• Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the batter is settled down. I like to leave mine a little bit uncooked (melted from the inside), but if you want the end result to be more like chocolate cake, bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (with moist crumbs is ok).
• Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert cake on wire rack lined with parchment to cool completely.
• Add some berries and dust with powdered sugar before serving, as desired.