Healthy Egg Muffin Cups
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
Egg muffin cups also known as frittatas are the perfect easy make-ahead breakfast for on the go on busy mornings and a guaranteed hit on slow weekends. You can customize each muffin individually if you want and it’s super handy to hide all the left overs from the fridge into to these delicious muffins 😉. Egg muffins are packed with protein and they keep you going until it’s lunch time.
Ingredients (12 muffins):
3 egg whites
1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
any other seasonings you like
Choose for example 2-3 of the following:
baby spinach chopped
sundried tomatoes diced
onions finely chopped
red bell peppers finely chopped
mushrooms finely chopped
parmesan cheese/ goat cheese/ feta cheese/ cheddar crumbled
basil/ chives finely chopped
mozzarella cheese shredded
cooked ham, chicken, jamon serrano, bacon
Basically, you can use whatever you want and have in the fridge 😉
• Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
• I usually line muffin tin with silicone liners since they are guaranteed to pop out easily without sticking. If you don’t have silicone liners, spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
• Whisk the eggs and egg whites in a bowl and add any seasonings you like.
• Place 2-3 items from the list above into each tin. You can customize each muffin cup however you like!
• Pour the egg mixture evenly on top of every cup, leaving a little bit from the top (about 2/3 cups full).
• Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean for each egg muffin. Remove from oven.
• Enjoy immediately, or once cooled, you can store them in reseal able bags or glass containers.
Store them in the fridge (or freezer) , and heat up in the microwave for 30-40 seconds if desired before eating.