Upside-down pear cake
I had some really ripe pears that needed to be used and you had asked me to share some sweet baking recipe with chickpea flour, so I decided to share this Upside-down Pear cake recipe with you. Or maybe I should call it Upside down pear pie as I like to have mine more pie-like, with less cake. If cakes are more your thing, use small 16-20cm cake pan (or even bread loaf pan). I used oblong (30cm) cake pan for my pie and it was just perfect to my taste.
This Upside-down pear cake is vegan friendly and gluten-free, but for example my husband didn’t notice the difference compared to our “normal” upside-down cake. Pears can be also replaced with apples, but I highly recommend trying with pears.
Ingredients for one small pie:
For the topping:
2 medium-sized, ripe pears, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp coconut sugar
For the base:
2dl chickpea flour
1 ¾ dl rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
¾ dl maple/ agave/ coconut/ date syrup (you can also use honey, if not vegan)
1 ¼ dl almond milk or any other plant-based milk
1- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Optional: ½ – 1 tsp of cinnamon or cardamom
- Preheat oven at 175°C.
- Spread chopped pears evenly over the bottom of the cake/ loaf pan (covered with baking paper), drizzle with coconut oil and sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
- Mix the sifted flours with baking powder and salt in a big bowl.
- In another bowl, stir in the coconut oil, syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and use an electric mixer to prevent lumps.
- Pour the batter over the pears, beat the cake pan on the counter to make the batter fill the empty spaces.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don’t overbake, as it will dry easily.
- Let the cake cool for a while.
- Turn the cake over a cooling rack leaning on a piece of parchment paper and let it set.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.
Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for few days.
N.B. Do you have Instagram account? Click this and start following me there ❤️
If you prefer Facebook, you can find my page here 😘
You might also like these blogs
Sundried tomato hummus:
Roasted Beetroot Hummus: