Tone up your body with these 7 simple moves
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
No time for gym today? No worries, I’m here to help you. Workout your entire body with the following circuit workout and tone up! No equipment or a lot of space needed, just about 30 minutes and a little bit of willpower 😉 .
Each movement can be done separately, by performing all the reps three times and then move on to the next movement. Or then you can perform them like circuit training, like I prefer to workout.
BURPEES (15 REPS x 3)
You either love or hate this move! But anyhow, burpees are one of the most effective exercises out there:
• Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and your arms at your sides. Point feet slightly outward.
• Push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body into a squat.
• Lean your body forward so that you are able to place your hands on the floor.
• Place your hands on the floor directly in front of, and shift your weight onto them.
• Jump your feet back to softly land on the balls of your feet in a plank position. Pay attention not to let your back sag or you butt stick up in the air, to workout as effectively as possible!
• Transfer your body weight onto your hands, and jump your feet back so that they land just outside of your hands.
• Reach your arms over head and explosively jump up into the air.
• Land and immediately lower back into a squat for your next rep.
• Repeat 15 times.
COMMANDOS (24 REPS/ 12 EACH SIDE x 3)
This move is great for your upper body, your abs (yay!!!), and even for your legs:
• Start from the plank position: place your forearms on the floor and rest on the balls of your feet.
• Place your right hand firmly on the floor slightly outside your shoulder and adjust your bodyweight accordingly.
• Push yourself up onto your right hand, followed by your left in the same pattern, and set your bodyweight to the middle.
• Return to plank position by releasing your right hand and lowering onto your forearm, and do the same with your left side.
• Do the same pattern again, but start with your left hand this time. Repeat 12 times, both sides.
JUMP LUNGES (28 REPS/ 14 EACH SIDE x 3)
For tight, toned legs and butt, jump into your lunge!
• Start standing tall with your shoulders back and chest out, and plant both feet on the floor.
• Place your hands on your hips and take a big step forward with your left foot.
• Bend both knees approx. 90 degrees; your front knee should be aligned with your ankle and other knee should be hovering just off of the floor.
• From this position and with your core engaged, push off the bottom of both feet into a jump, switching the position of your feet in midair, landing in a basic lunge with your right leg in front.
• Without rest, repeat this movement alternating which leg is in front.
FOREARM PLANK (1 MIN x3)
This is an immensely effective exercise which activates the entire core, including the transverse abdominis, which can diminish and relieve back pain:
• Place the forearms on the ground with the elbows aligned below the shoulders, and arms parallel to the body at about shoulder-width distance. If flat palms bother your wrists, link your fingers together.
• Raise your hips and torso off of the ground and rest the balls of your feet.
• Brace your abdominals and ensure that your body remains in one straight line from head to toe. Pay attention not to let your back sag or you butt stick up in the air!
• Keep this position for a 1 minute.
SNAP JUMPS (24 REPS x 3)
This move targets your hamstrings, glutes and calves:
• Start by standing up with your feet shoulder width apart.
• Lean your body forward slightly, and place your hands on the floor in front of you. Keep your hands shoulder-width apart, it will make this exercise easier as you jump in and out. This is starting position.
• Kick your feet backwards (they are completely extended) into push up position resting on the balls of your feet. Ensure that your back remains straight and that you stabilize through your abdominal muscles. Transfer your body weight onto your hands and jump your feet inwards into starting position.
• Repeat 24 times.
STRAIGHT LEG JACKKNIFES (15 x 3)
Burn that stubborn stomach fat and strengthen your lower back:
• Lie flat on the ground on your back with your arms extended straight back behind your head and your legs extended also.
• As you exhale, bend at the waist while simultaneously raising your legs and arms to meet in a jackknife position. The upper torso should be off the ground.
• While inhaling, lower your arms and legs back to the starting position.
• Repeat 15 times.
PUSH UPS (15 x 3)
A push up is a total-body functional movement that is great for increasing strength and has the added benefit of engaging the core and lower body.
• Place your hands firmly on the ground, directly under shoulders. Ground your toes into the floor to stabilize your lower half.
• Whilst keeping your back straight and stabilizing through your abs, bend your elbows and lower your torso to the floor until your arms form a 90-degree angle.
• Keeping your core engaged, extend your arms, exhale as you push back to the starting position.
• Repeat 15 times.