Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
You can tell, that autumn and colder weather are here when you crave after warm soups. We actually eat a lot of soups through autumn and winter, and this Mexican-style soup is definitely one of our favorites. The chicken can easily be replaced with tofu or different kind of beans, and the red lentil pasta makes this soup filling and helps to keep hunger away for hours.
You can always customize easily the spiciness and flavor of the soup according to your own taste and replace those green beans with sweet pepper or corn, for example. Or use them all, some extra veggies are always an excellent idea! If you want even more filling soup, please add some more lentil pasta and of course a little bit more water.
Ingredients for 4-6 persons:
400-500 g chicken fillet
oil or butter for frying
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2-4 tbsp taco or fajita seasoning (depending on the mixture and how spicy you want it to be.)
100g green (frozen) beans (if you are using fresh ones, cut the hard ends and chop them in pieces)
500 g of tomato passata
8 -10 dl of water
3dl red lentil pasta (raw measurement)
1 can (380/230 g) kidney beans, drained
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 – 1 red chili pepper, if you like spicy or hot food
salt (most seasoning mixtures already contain enough salt, so taste before adding salt)
2 dl of cooking cream, if creamy soups are more your thing. Add at the end of cooking.
fresh parsley or coriander to garnish
To replace the green beans, use for example:
1 red sweet pepper
100g canned or frozen corn, drained
100g carrots, cubed
Of course, you can add them all as extra vegetables are always a good idea!
• Dice the onion and garlic cloves and cut chicken fillet in smaller pieces.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and chicken.
• Add taco seasoning and finely chopped chili if using it. Cook the mixture for a moment.
• Add green beans, tomato passata, water, pasta and black pepper into a saucepan. Let it simmer until the pasta is cooked. If the soup looks too thick, add a little water.
• Drain the kidney beans and add them into the soup and heat.
• Check the taste and season more if necessary.
• Add fresh parsley or coriander before serving.
N.B. Do you have Instagram account? Click this and start following me there ❤️
If you prefer Facebook, you can find my page here ?
You might also like theseblogs
Spicy lentil and tomato soup:
A warming winter soup:
Silky smooth beetroot soup: