Simple and soft snack bars
Have you ever checked the labels of some popular snack/ energy/ granola bars? Yep, the content may not exactly be what you have thought. And that’s the reason why I wanted to share this basic snack bar recipe with you, as it can be modified with whatever you have in your pantry.
These bars aren’t hard and crumbly like granola bars quite often are, they actually have a dense cake or bread like texture. You can add all the mix-ins you want or just use the basic recipe, you decide. Also, these yummy and soft snack bars can be made gluten-free and nut-free, so they are perfect for people dealing with food allergies. And as they can also be stored at room temperature, they work perfectly as a breakfast on the go on busy mornings, as energy bombs before working out, as a snack during the school or work day, you name it!
Ingredients (makes 14-16 bars):
3 very ripe medium-sized bananas
2 1/2 dl nut butter or seed butter of your choice
5 dl (gluten-free) rolled oats
2 1/2 dl chopped nuts or seeds of your choice
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt (skip this if your nut/seed butter is salted)
If you like your bars sweet and you aren’t going to add dried fruits, you might want to add 1/2 dl sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup, erythritol, coconut sugar…)
100g dried fruits or berries chopped in tiny pieces
50-100g chocolate chips of your choice (vegan, low-carb, protein-rich, raw chocolate)/ cacao nibs
1/2 dl shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon/ gingerbread spice/ cardamom
• Pre-heat oven to 175°C and line small baking dish (mine is 21 X 24cm) with parchment paper.
• Mash bananas with a fork.
• Using a hand mixer, mix the bananas, nut/ seed butter, vanilla extract and optional sweetener, until very smooth. You can also use a big spoon, if you want to avoid all extra washing-up.
• Add oats, chopped nuts/seeds and optional extras, mix until well combined.
• Pour the mixture onto a baking dish and press and flatten with a spoon evenly.
• Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on edges.
• Allow to cool completely before cutting bars.
Wrap in plastic wrap or store in a sealed container. Store in a fridge for a week or freeze for up to 6 months. These bars can also be stored at room temperature, so you can always have one with you for emergencies.
N.B. Do you have Instagram account? Click this and start following me there ❤️
If you prefer Facebook, you can find my page here 😘
You might also like these blogs
Chocolaty Raw Energy Bars:
No Bake Apple Pie Energy Bars:
No Bake Tropical Energy Bites: