Quinoa Carrot Casserole
Even though we are not going to be at home on Christmas this year and I don’t have to cook Christmas dinner, I wanted to share this recipe with you. It goes well with all the Christmas dishes, and can be easily prepared vegan, dairy free and gluten free, if needed. Just use ingredients that fit into your diet, use rice or barley, if you don’t have quinoa, the recipe is pretty flexible and forgivable 😉 . It is also one of my favorite side dishes year-round, I just replace those Christmassy spices with garlic powder, black pepper and herbal salt!
And don’t forget this mouthwatering Sweet Potato Casserole that I posted last year, these two will be a nice and delicious add to your Christmas dinner!
1 kg carrots
2 dl quinoa
1 teaspoon canola oil (or any other oil you prefer)
2 dl coconut cream (or any other cream you prefer)
2-3 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
a pinch of ground cloves
a pinch of white pepper
canola oil and some bread crumbs
• Preheat the oven to 175°C.
• Peel and cut the carrots and cook them in salted water.
• Rinse the quinoa and cook it in salted water (follow the instructions in the package). Be careful not to over cook the quinoa, it can still be a little hard. Pour off excess water and mix quinoa with a teaspoon of oil.
• When carrots are tender, pour the water out of the kettle and puree the carrots and cream with a hand blender.
• Season mixture with sugar, nutmeg, cloves and white pepper. Stir the quinoa into carrot puree, and add salt.
• Grease a baking dish (about 20 x 25 cm) with oil. Spread the mixture into it and sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs on top of everything.
• Bake in 175-degree oven for about 50 minutes.
This casserole is enough for 4-8 people, depending on what else you were thinking to serve with it. And remember that casserole dishes can easily be prepared a few days in advance and can also be frozen without detriment!
The original recipe can be found here in Finnish: