Paneer Cheese Salad
Are you already familiar with paneer cheese? It’s a fresh, cottage cheese-like and normally unsalted cheese, that is widely used for example in India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Its mildness is a perfect foil for stronger flavours, that it absorbs easily, and it’s most commonly used in spicy sauces, casseroles and curries. Paneer is also an excellent as a substitute for meat in steaks and dumplings or marinated in a tofu style.
I got some paneer cheese from our last trip to Finland, and I have to admit that it surprised me totally. It was super easy to use and season with whatever you fancy (because of its mild flavor), it’s an excellent source of protein and thanks to its low salt content, it’s also a healthy alternative to the whole family. Grill, fry, bake or crumble it, it works perfectly in every way!
Internet was full of delicious and tempting Indian style paneer cheese recipes, but I wanted to try how it would work in Ready in 10-minutes lunch salad. And it was perfect for that! No marinating needed, I just seasoned the cheese at the same time while I was sautéing it. I think that this combination might be my new favorite, even better than halloumi salad!
Ingredients (serves 2 as a main course):
200 g different kind of salads (the darker the better)
2 handfuls of arugula
150 g strawberries (also mango would work perfectly)
2 handfuls of pistachios (approx. 30-40g)
red onion according to your taste
1 package (225g) paneer cheese (I used this)
spices according to your taste, you can use whatever you fancy (at the moment my favorite way to season the paneer is just toss it with Herbamare Spicy)
1-2 tbsp oil or butter for sautéing
balsamic vinegar for serving
• Tear the green leaves into bite-sized pieces and place them in a salad bowl or straight to the plates.
• Cut cucumber, strawberries and red onion into smaller pieces and toss them on top of the salad leaves.
• Peel the pistachios and add them on top of the salad.
• Cut the paneer cheese into cubes or slices, heat the skillet and add the butter or oil on it.
• Sauté the paneer until lightly browned and season it with your favorite spices. No need for marinating.
• Place cheese slices on top of everything and toss it with balsamic vinegar.
• Enjoy immediately!