Lemony Pistachio Quinoa Salad
Nothing says better, “Summer is here!” as all the backyard bbq parties with delicious food. But what to serve with grilled chicken or fish if a fresh salad sounds too light and potatoes are a bit boring? The answer is Lemony Pistachio Quinoa Salad!
This lemony quinoa salad pairs perfectly with chicken and fish, and also with seafood. Even though it’s really filling and keeps you satisfied for hours, it’s a light side dish. You can always replace quinoa with couscous or bulgur, both of them will work perfectly. And by varying the herbs, you’ll get always new flavors and find a tasty combination that suits every taste!
Ingredients (for 4):
200g of quinoa (raw weight)
4 dl of water (add a vegetable or chicken stock cube into boiling water, if you want some extra taste)
zest and juice of 1 lemon (use only the yellow part)
½ red onion OR approx. 1 dl of spring onion, finely chopped
1 dl of herbs, finely chopped (try, for example, parsley, basil or mint)
1 ½ dl pistachios, chopped
1 tablespoon of oil or butter melted
black pepper to taste
salt, if needed
• Cook the quinoa according to instructions on package (add stock cube, if you want some extra flavor) and allow to cool.
• Chop onion, herbs and nuts in small pieces.
• Mix oil/ melted butter, lemon juice and zest, onion and herbs with quinoa. Add black pepper and mix well.
• Add chopped pistachios and mix carefully.
• If the pistachios are already salted, you may not need any additional salt. Taste and add salt if needed.
• Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 60 minutes to allow salad to cool completely and ingredients to combine.
• Serve as a side dish for fish or chicken.
*This salad can be made in advance, it makes wonderful leftovers ?.