Healthier Savory Pie
I love savory pies, because they are easy and quick to make, and in general everyone likes them. By changing the fillings, you always get new flavour combinations, and they replace well a meal if you serve them with a salad. They are also excellent, because you can put in them all the leftovers from the fridge 😉
You wouldn’t believe that it’s healthy from the taste!
As good as the savory pies are, everyone certainly knows, that they are not that healthy. Even if you choose healthy fillings, the pie crust contains usually a lot of unhealthy fat and white flours. I found this recipe while I was looking for a better alternative to the traditional pie, and I fell in love immediately after tasting it.
The butter on the crust is replaced with avocado, and the flours are not white ones. You wouldn’t believe that it’s healthy from the taste! The original recipe doesn’t contain the egg mixture, and you’ll find it at the end of this post.
For the pie crust you’ll need:
2.5 dl whole wheat flours or rye flour (or any other flours of your choice)
1 teaspoon of salt or herb salt
1 teaspoon of pizza seasoning
a pinch of Cayenne pepper / paprika powder
For the filling you’ll need:
You can use basically everything it can be found at your home! Chicken with mushrooms and tomato, or salmon with shrimps are my favorite combos at the moment 😛 Veggie pies with feta cheese are also quite yummy!
My pie contained this time a handful of mushrooms, 300g tex mex seasoned chicken, ¼ of red bell pepper, some red onion and a handful of cherry tomatoes. And I seasoned the egg mixture with pizza seasoning and herbal salt. But it’s your choice, these are only suggestions:
Approx. 200-400g (it depends what else you are going to use) of chicken, minced meat, shrimps, fish, mushrooms, ham etc.
+ some veggies like bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, broccoli, beans, chickpeas etc.
1dl cooking cream
about 1dl grated cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Mash avocado with a fork and mix it with egg and seasonings. Mix well.
3. Add the flour and mix the dough until smooth. Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pie dish (cover it with baking sheet or spray with oil first, or use silicone one). If the dough sticks onto your fingers, you can use some extra flours.
4. To prepare the filling, chop the veggies (If you do a vegetable pie, fry the veggies in a pan with olive oil for a while, so they have time to soften properly), and fry the chicken/meat/fish (if you use them) and season them with your favorite seasonings.
5. In an other bowl, whisk together the egg and cooking cream.
6. Add stuffing of your choice on top of the pie crust, pour the egg mixture on top of everything, sprinkle the grated cheese (optional) and bake for approx. 25 minutes.
The original recipe can be found here in Finnish: