Black Bean Brownies
Can dark and rich chocolate brownie really be healthy? Try these brownies, and let me know what you think about them! In my opinion, they’re fudgy, sweet, and one of the best brownies I’ve tasted by now. And yes, they are healthy as they’re loaded with fiber and tons of other good-for-you ingredients.
These Black Been Brownies are ridiculously simple to make, and they only require a handful of ingredients, a food processor and a pan or muffin tin. And I’ll promise that no one will question the beans in these baked goods after tasting them, because they won’t realize of eating beans! And the good thing also is, that these Black Bean Brownies can be vegan and gluten free, when you use the proper ingredients.
Ingredients for 8-12 brownies:
250g black beans (drained and rinsed very well)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
40g quick oats
1/4 tsp salt
75g pure maple syrup, honey or agave syrup
2 tbsp coconut sugar or a pinch of stevia
40g coconut or vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
100-140g chocolate chips of your choice (Optional)
optional: berries, nuts, nut butter, whipped cream (regular or coconut), chocolate sauce, jam for topping…
• Preheat oven to 175C.
• Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. The texture and even the taste will be much better when you blend the batter properly!
• Stir in the optional chocolate chips with a big spoon, then pour into a greased 20cm x 20cm pan or use cupcake tin, like I did this time.
Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips or chopped nuts over the top.
• Bake them in the oven 12-18 minutes (depends on whether you use a pan or cupcake tin), but be careful not to over bake them. If you’re not sure if they are ready, just take them out! They will be better when moist and a little “raw”, rather than over baked and dry.
• Let them cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut them into pieces or popping out of the cupcake tin. If they still look a bit under cooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up!
• Serve as they are thoroughly cooled as such or with your favorite toppings. Store in the fridge in covered airtight container.
The original recipe can be found here: