Two Ingredient Chocolate Cake
N.B. This blog is also available in Finnish and you’ll find it here
Seriously! This is something you have to try, even if you aren’t a baker. Super rich and tasty chocolate cake without flour and added sugars, and you can make it as healthy as you want by changing the chocolate you use. Use milk chocolate for a little bit milder chocolate flavor, dark chocolate for more intense flavor, raw chocolate for healthier version, sugar free or dairy free if those suit better for your diet. All of them will work! And yes, all of those flavored chocolates, let’s say mint or coffee for example, will bring a nice add to this cake 😉 .
I’m not the creator of this recipe, but I saw a lot of similar recipes while I was looking for a flourless cake. The quantities of ingredients may vary, but they all contained only eggs and chocolate. However, the idea of the cake remained in my head for so long that I tried it, and believe me, this recipe is here to stay!
170g chocolate of your choice
Serve with your favorite toppings like berries, nut butter, nuts, whipped cream, ice cream, whatever you fancy 🙂
• Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
• Separate the yolks from the egg whites (Pro tip; chill the eggs beforehand, as cold yolks are less likely to break than warm ones, and easier to separate from the egg whites!) and whisk the egg whites to form stiff, meringue-like foam. To make foaming easier, I always add a pinch of salt, but it’s not mandatory.
• Melt the chocolate, and let it cool for awhile. Add the all three remaining egg yolks to the chocolate and whisk.
• Add the third of the of the whites foam and whisk cautiously. Continue with adding the rest of the whites with a spatula.
• Line a round baking pan (I used 15cm) with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
• Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how thick your cake is, and allow to cool. It’s good fresh-baked, but if you let it rest overnight in the fridge, the moistness will increase and it’ll be even more delicious!
Enjoy on it’s own or with fresh berries, whipped cream (I used oat cream this time, as it needed to be dairy free) or ice cream 😛 .