The Best Healthy Apple Pie Ever
I know that declaring a recipe as “the best ever” is a bold statement, but believe me, we have a winner! Let’s take a look at some key ingredients, that make this pie so special; If you use gluten-free oats, this pie is gluten-free, dairy-free, made without white sugars and eggs, so it fits in for almost every diet. And if you want to bake vegan pie, just use coconut oil instead of butter and replace honey with maple syrup.
3 dl oat flakes
2.5 dl of almond flour
1 tsp ground vanilla
4 tbsp coconut oil or organic butter
3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1/2 tsp cardamom
a pinch of salt
3 dl unsweetened apple sauce
honey or maple syrup according to your taste
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ground vanilla
2-3 tsp cinnamon
cardamom according to your taste
Squeeze of fresh lime juice over the sliced apples
2 tbsp coconut sugar
• Preheat oven to 180C.
• Make the dough in a food processor; Pulse all the ingredients of pie crust until combined. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 20 minutes.
• Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pie dish (cover it with baking sheet or spray with oil first, or use silicone one). Pierce the dough with a fork and pre-bake the pie crust in the oven 10minutes.
• In the meanwhile, make the filling. Mix applesauce, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom and salt. Mix well and check the taste.
• Spread over the pre-baked pie crust.
• Slice apples into thin slices and place on top of the applesauce. Sprinkle some more cinnamon, cardamom and coconut sugar on top of the apple slices if desired.
• Put the pie in the oven and bake for about half an hour. Be careful with the baking time, so that the pie does not get over baked!
• Let it cool and enjoy with yogurt, vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream.
The original recipe can be found here in Finnish: